Sunday, May 31, 2009

The cliffs of insanity

So, today was fills with a visit to the cliffs of insanity (what is a post if it doesn't include a reference to the pirncess bride), otherwise known a the Cliffs of Moher.

Amazing.

I started my day off with a meager breakfast of two fresh baked scones and some instant coffee. The scones where good, as the owner of the hostel was very excited about them. He has actually been a lot of fun, and one of the most personable hosts so far. He even remembers my name. That's much better than I could ever do.

I decided not to follow the road to the cliffs, but rather a path than seemed to follow them much closer (well they weren't in view yet). The path started off as old road. Then turned into a grassy, overgrown road, before just dissapearing altogether into a path. And quite the path it was. As I reached the cliffs I was overwhelmed by it all. This had to be some of the most breathtaking landscape that I've seen, and I was all over the US last year. Of course part of the breath taking happened when the path meandered right next to the cliffs edge.

Up the this point I found it odd that I really hadn't seen anyone else yet. I thought this was a popular attraction for this area.

Figures that I was off the beaten path, and I started along the cliffs far before they turned into the touristy area. Which was about two hours of walking after I set off. It was fun to watch everyone from afar, as I wondered what they thought of the lone figure out on the part of the cliffs that was beyound thier fence. And as I approached finally, I hopped over the fence and blended into the crowd in no time.

This area was no fun. As they kept everyone behind a wall, ten feet from the edge of the cliff. Not so great for really up close sightseeing. Luckily just passed the 'imminent danger ahead' sign, which everyone ignored, the crowd was able to walk alongside the cliffs to the other end of them.

So all in all I walked nearly the entire lenght of the cliffs of moher, and back. It filled my day.

My sunblock didn't pass the true test of it's worth unfortunatley. As, even with 5 applications throughout the day, I still had a sunburnt face by the end of it. Oh well.

Now I'm off to O'Conners, a pub in the area that is well known for it's traditional music scene. I enjoyed a bit of that last night upon my arrival to Doolin (where I am now). It was a fun night filled with music, travel buds, dancing (not me) and good Guiness. I'm excited for another night of it. This is what I came here looking for (as well as to see the cliffs).

Side note. I had a 4 hour block of free time between my trians arrival in Galway and the bus the I needed to pick up to Doolin. Unfortunately the stations luggage room was closed so I had to carry all my stuff around. On the upside, there is a huge event going on this week, so there were festivities everywhere. And who should I meet there l but my tour guide from Dublin. So I got to hang out with her and two of her friends for a little while. It was totally unexpected and I was glad that we stumbled upon each other randomly, in a totally different city.

Well that's all for now. Tomorrow I make the journey from here to Galway to Dublin to Paris. Should be interesting. I could use a day of rest on the busses and trains after today long long hike.

6 comments:

Dear son,
you just added another 100 grey hairs to my silver crown..but what does that matter...I already have 2,599 the last time I counted. Cliffs....I love you.silver polished anew streak

This comment has been removed by the author.

For some reason, you traveling some cliffs sounds like a LOTR-esque adventure to me. Except wizards and hobbits and elves never seemed to get sunburned. Haha, sorry about your fair skin taking a beating!

Was the music like, traditional pub music I'm imagining from Ireland? That would be so rad. I'm already taking notes from your blog for my own personal potential adventures.

And I'm glad you're making random friends throughout Europe! How exciting. I feel as though I'd be too antisocial for that. It's very impressive.

Safe travels!

Carissa

scones, coffee, cliffs....and sunburn! great mix. how strong (or weak) is this sunblock of yours?

wv: feadle! (lol)

Jor-man. Missing you bud! It sounds like you're having an amazing time. I can't wait to see pictures of those cliffs. I bet they're insane ;-)

Call me when you get a sec.

Brotha B

My sunblock is 60spf, and should be sweat and waterproof. I think my body just rejects sunblock. I am sunblock-proof.

Carissa, it was very LOTR-esq. Hiking along paths with enchanting beauty all around. Can't go wrong with that combination.

The music was traditional Irish music, with a flute, violin, or concertina leading the group. And while there were a few artists payed to play, others from the area were free to join in and prove thier worth to the musicians. It was very free form and fun, set right in a booth in the middle of the bar. Such a fun atmosphere.

-J