Thursday, May 28, 2009

Edinburgh to Dublin

I didn't expect the trip from Scotland to Ireland to go completely smooth, but there were a few hiccups along the way. Needless to say, I arrived at each destination in time to take my next mode of transportation. I'll get to that story in a few. First Edinburgh.

My second day in Edinburgh started with a visit to the castle. When I arrived around 10am, I just happened to catch a ceremonial guard posting, which they only do for certain events. Thus there was a very small crowd compared to the changing of the guards at Buckingham palace. Up on the hill the wind managed to just whip right through you, despite it being anther sunny day. I'm not quite sure what the weather is usually like in the areas I've visited, but it's been sunny and nice most of the time.

The rest of the day was filled the national museum of Scotland. As what usually happens in these museums, I read almost everything at the beginning and after an hour or so I'm down to reading on occasion, finally moving onto just quickly looking and reading any big, bold print. It was interesting though, and I like to think that I learned a fair bit about Scotland.

Being in Edinburgh was a bit bittersweet. Everywhere I looked reminded me of my dad, and every lone bagpiper on the occasional street corner would bring memories flooding back. I'm glad that I went, and want to return some day to see more and take a tour of the highlands.

Anyways, onto my adventure to Ireland.

It started with a bus breakdown before it even arrived at 9:30pm. After a half hour we were shuttles onto another bus to Glasgow where we would pick up a different us going to the same destination as the bus we were originally supposed to take. After picking that bus up, I believe I got a little sleep while in route to Manchester. We arrived suprisingly close to the original arrival time had there not been bus problems. Mind you it was 4:15am at the point and now I needed to wait around till 6:15 for my next bus to Liverpool, where I would take a ferry out of to Ireland. Upon arriving in Liverpool, not knowing exactly where the ferry port was, I asked around for directions and finally found someone who knew (roughly).

Ok. I'm tired, so I'll finish this up tomorrow. Needless to say, there was action, adventure, and intrigue, along with panic, running, and a nice ride from a good chap. All while arriving with just minutes left to check in. So stay tuned.

UPDATE!!

All right, I have a few minutes left on this computer to burn (I'm at an internet cafe). Here is the rest of the story.

So I got a set of directions, and a bus to get on. The problem was, the directions where a bit vague. It was, go back in the opposite direction the bus is heading when it drops you off, take a left, and then when that road ends, take a right. Sounds simple. So I do that.

After a while, I begin to wonder. So I stop into a small diner to check and make sure I was heading toward the ferries. I get confirmation from the chef that I am. Good! So I decide I would sit down and have some food to eat. I hadn't eaten since the night before (and was running on 3 hours of sleep). Afterward, I continue my trek down this long road.

I begin to worry after another mile. And so I go over a street towards the waterfront, where I probably walk another mile or so. At this point I only have 15 minutes to check in. I begin to really worry.

Finally I see signs for a ferry. Except it's across a bridge, and back the way I came. Crossing over, I stop a car and ask where the ferry was. "10 minute walk back that way". Of course, the direction I came from originally, just on the opposite side of the street.

I'm out of time at this point, with only 10 minutes, I book it. I alternate running and walking (it's hard with 30lbs of luggage on you). I don't think I'm going to make it, when out of no where, a kind gentleman stops a bit ahead of me and offers me a ride.

It was a good thing he did, because it was still a good 5 minute car ride to finally get to the ferry. But I arrived in time to check in, and made my ferry. Exhausted, but happy I made it.

1 comments:

Haha, all I can think about is that I'm glad that with all this confusion, at least it is in English-speaking countries! I can only imagine the stories to be told when the bus breaks down with a language barrier...

Don't mean to be a jinx! Just excited to hear all your stories and adventures, of course. Stay safe and healthy, and thanks for keeping us updated!

And I think I'm usually the opposite in museums, because I go through too fast the first time when I'm with someone, and then go back and read all the fine print while they are finishing up. I wonder if I'd have your method down if I went alone, haha.

<3, Carissa