Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Arrival

I'm here. In the middle of London right now, in a tiny cramped little internet cafe. My body has no idea what time it is. I'm exhausted, but it's only 4:30pm. I haven't really been hungry, but that's my next goal, after leaving this shop. Let me recap so far.

I took off from JFK in New York City last night, specifically choosing the earlier departure date so that I could catch the sun set. Figures that there would be a huge queue of planes, and I would be on the side opposite of the sunset. By the time we turned around for take-off, the sun was well below the horizon.

We took off, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a sunset in reverse before, but I can tell you that I have now. I watched as it peaked it head above the horizon again, before lazily decending into dusk.

The passenger next to me was asleep before takeoff, but I had plenty of things to read, and prepare. I did attempt to sleep on the plane, got a few hours of rest, but not constant sleep. It was enough for me to feel like it was morning when the sun rose.

Landing was uneventful, customs took an hour to get through. The entire time I'm hopeing and praying that my bag doesn't get picked up by someone else at baggage check. Sure enough, when I finally got through my bag was sitting on the floor in a pile with others like me. Not without a bit of hassel and panic did I find it as the signs for baggage claim had long since moved on to the next flight. Next time I'm checking everythign if possible.

Taking a cue from my brother, and grandpa, I chose not to take a taxi from the airport. Instead I purchased a weeklong pass and road the subway in. What followed was an hour or so of frustration as I attempted to find a hostel, which was poorly marked. I finally got rid of my large bag, and could lighten my load. Things were looking up.

With the pack off my back, I could focus on taking everything in. Let's just say that I'm not used to being surrounded by so much history and tradition. There will be more to come on this thought.

As for now, I'm off to find an ATM to get some cash, before finding some good eats. I don't have the correct cable with me right now, but I hope to have photos up soon.

3 comments:

Yay!!! It's good to hear that you got to London safely. Your Mom and I watched a lot planes fly over us and we were hoping that one of them was yours!

The journey begins! Can't wait to read about your adventures!!

-Carissa

The journey has just begun... Have Fun!