Friday, May 29, 2009

The home of guinness

So I've been in Dublin these past few days. It's a nice city, was a bit much at first. Butni guess that's my fault for not really having any literature on it before coming to the city.

I started off by getting a nice taxi ride into the center of the town with two lovely gentlemen who wanted to help me out. They and the taxi driver pointed me in the direction of a few hostels and I was all set with a place to sleep for 10 euros in no time. Of course it makes sense why it cost so little when I had a chance to look around. Not exactly the best kept of places. The say they are under renovations, but my guess is that this a status that they have been under for quite some time now. My room has a huge window that overlooks . . . The train tracks. So i get to hear the sound of the trains run by every so often. I guess it's a good idea that I brought ear plugs. They really have come in handy.

My first full day in the city started off with another free tou, putbon by a company that has tours in a bunch of cities. It's all tips based, and the guides have been great so far. These tours are always great at getting me oriented to the city. And this guide was pretty cool, looking to move to NYC sometime in the upcoming months. She recommended a good fish and chips joint (which was good), and even joined me after the tour for a bit at the park that we ended up at. It was nice to have someone to chat to, since this hostel seems to be lacking in the typical hoateller fare (from what I've gathered so far).

Anyways I finished off the day of touring around with a visit to the Guinness factory. Which I have to say that I was even more impressed with it than I though I was going to be. Whoever put the whole thing together came with a very modern approach, making it both interesting and visually stimulating, modern and overall a great experience. I even got frsh brewed guinness, which was amazing. Along with a full pint when I was done with the tour, accompanied by a 360 view of Dublin. It was a good experience. And highly recommended by me for anyone in Dublin.

Anyways I'm off to sleep, got to get up to catch a train in the morning.

0 comments: