Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Surfing and snails

Today, was not as it was initially planned to be. Ask had originally planned it ot be, I would have been sitting on a bus and a train all day long, with an odd layover in Galway. But things change, and instead those plans where thrown out the window and I went surfing on the west coast of Ireland instead.

I would have never thought of Ireland as being a country to surf in. But a beach, not 5 miles down the road from Doolin, isnonw of the best up and coming spots to catch a few waves.

So I jumped into the Cormac's car (who was up surfing for the weekend/bank holiday) with another travel bud (Scott) and we went off in search of waves. Unfortunately since the weathe has been amazing the past few days the waves where few and sometimes far between. Needless it proved a good training ground for newbies, like myself.

The amy was blue, with hardly a cloud in it, and the water was cold and refreshing. As I lay in it, as my wet suit proved to be very bouyant, I was glad that I had opted not to take the bus and train, but spend part of the day by the ocean with new friends.

I did manage to get up, just once, but that along with several other close attempts proved to be a great experience. I will have to go again. It just won't be on the coast of Ireland next time.

The afternoon and early evening was filled with a leisurely conversation and driving. Coversationed ran the gamut from subatomic particals to stemcells to the demise of the US car industry. I find it amazing how well versed people from another country are in what's going on in America. I feel inadequate when I can't reciprocate the same level of information that everyone seems to hold of a country that thedont live in. My world news needs to be worked on.

I am getting some new perspectves on my country from these conversations and it will be interesting what I come away with at the end of this journey of mine.

The evening was filled with food and beer, a fine way to cap an eventful day, one that as to be much different overall from the onset. I look forward to more days of this kind, filled with new experiences and unplanned events. This is how I would like to continue to travel.


UPDATE:
I forgot to write about the other half of the title. So on top of auering for the first time in Ireland, I also had my first snail. Which I have to say, despite being a bit gross looking was quite tasty (and quite a bit salty). They were good though, being sold onthe waterside along with seaweed (Irish sea grass as it was being labled). It made for an interesting lite snack while driving back to Dublin.

3 comments:

"I am getting some new perspectves on my country from these conversations and it will be interesting what I come away with at the end of this journey of mine."

A tactile world view (albeit mostly Indo-European), but the view will be yours and you will be joining a growing community that sees clearly, it's one world and all we've got.
Sleep and travel well, seizing every opportunity.

Wow, that's a cool story. The first time I went surfing I was in Ireland...Yep that wins cool story of the day!

Sweet! Cool sorry of the day award. Should be a good one to tell for some time now. I hope.

- j