Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Menton and beyond

I have a half hour and an typing this on my iPod, a lot has happened and I dont know how much I'll be through, but here it goes.

Menton was not quite what I expected. I guess I had gotten an idealized version in my head from my brothers description. While overall nice, just wasn't as relaxing as I had expected. One large part of this was the huge amount of steps that I needed to climb to get to the hostel, which was conviently ontop of one of the hills in the town. I almost stopped and turned back multiple times, thinking I was on the wrong path, when around each corner I only saw never ending swtichbacks or straight sets of stairs. This might not have been so bad, except for the fact that I was carrying my packs. Needless to say, when I finally reached the hostel, I was drenched in sweat. Of course thy were convienently closed until 5pm, and I was just able to leave my large pack.

I was hoping to spend the day at the hostel relaxing, as it did offer and amazing view of the surrounding landscape, but alas I had to strike out back down the stairs (knowing I would have to climb them later) towards town. Seeding how there wasn't too much more in menton than the beach, which I was still unprepared for, I spent a good portion of the day wondering, finding a cheap swimsuit, instead of relaxing like I had hoped.

5 finally rolls around, and I figures I could get dinner at the hostel, so I climbed back up the stairs, finally check in, and find out that since there was a group of 45 german school kids coming through, making finned for one more person was just toooo much.

. . .

So, I had to head back down the stairs (knowing again I would need to climb them a third time that day) to find myself dinner elsewhere. Not exactly the best start to a relaxing few days in the French Riviera. I did get a bit of time later on that first nigh to watch the sun set and read out on he porch of the hostel, which wasn't a bad way to end the day.

Since there were so few actual normal hostelling folk, with all the kids (18 year old, love lust, teenagers) around, I figured there was little chance of meeting anyone. But I was wrong. In a simple conversation over the fact that I would have to ask the awkward question of someone if they would put sunblock on my back, I was invited to join a pair from Austria for the day at the beach. Which is how I spent it. Finally I could relax, and dump my daypack at the hostel. It was a great day filled with swimming, reading, conversation and a picnic of fresh fruit and bread on the beach. The day was topped off with Pizza and wine at a park along the beach, talking and watchin the sun set.

Not a bad day at all.

And I was off again, this time to the Cinque Terre, part of the Italian Riviera. Again not expecting much from the day of travel to get there (which actually took about twice as long as I expected). But low and behold a simple question to someone I had seen at the hostel earlier, at the first train station in Italy, led to a great conversation and travel friend. Since I had not booked a hostel ahead of time, I figured I would try and stay at the same hostel that they were heading too. Unfortunately, it was booked full. So, much like Nice, I was off to find a hostel again.

And I'll leave you with a cliffhanger, as I have to go. Till next time.

1 comments:

I have to wonder how you know the teenagers were love lust...haha.