Friday, June 12, 2009

A lesson in Lisbon

I find that us Manwarings tend to be pretty trusting. A great trait until someone takes advantage of that fact. That happened today in Lisbon. I met a person, was told of a normal series of events that could leave one needing a bit of money for a taxi ride. Lots of talking, good, long, elaborate details about why she was in town, what happened, etc. It all seems to check out. I get a phone number, email address, name, and she gets a little cash with a promise to meet up at a location later on to reinburse me. Yeah, looking back I'm not quite sure what happened, but I got taken for a ride. Never thought I would fall for something like that, but low and behold, I did. Lesson learned. Cash will never leave my hands over a promise again. A pricy little lesson, but a good life lesson.

All I can think is that these people have a LOT of time to come up with amazing details to cover everything that one might ask. They should put those acting skills to use on film.

Anyways, I figured I would get that out first, so I can move onto the awesome time that I had in Lisbon. First of all there was the hostel. It felt a little like home. I was exhausted, dirty, dishelved, after a night of little sleep from Madrid. I had gone to one place, which didn't check out to my standards. But as soon as I walked into this hostel I was greeted by the most outgoing, kind, hostel worker. She immediately took my bags, shooed me off to shower, offered breakfast, and then got me set and orientated for the day. It's amazing what a difference a warm welcome makes at a hostel. And all of the workers at this hostel where the same, genuine amazing people. There was sen occasional food and always sangria available in the evening. I didn't want to leave. I would go back just to stay at that hostel for another week.

My first impression ofnlisbon wasn't a great one. I was tired, I didn't understand anyone (well that hasn't really changed, it was cloudy and gray. In a city that is full of small and late streets lines with pastel and brightly colored buildings, where the streets and sidewalks are tiles stone, it really doesn't come alive till the sun comes out to light it all up. What a difference there was in city before I arrived at the hostel (grey) and when I set out for the day (brilliant, clear blue sky). It's amazing what the proper lighting will do.

I spenty first day wondering the streets, taking in both the tourist sexton, as well as old-school Lisbon. Where the streets consist of the sizes barely large enough for a car and large enough for motorcycle (maybe). Tiles cover everything in Lisbon. Houses are sides in them and they show up everywhere. It was great to walk around for a while and just explore. My final destination was a castle set up above the city. It gave a great view of Lisbon from above. Filled with warm orange ceramic roof tiles, constrasted with a cool blue sky. Day one was finished off hanging out with a small group from the hostel (consisting of three from Germany, and one other from the states. It's amazing the people that you will meet traveling at hostels. I'm always amazed at how well people from other countries speak and understand English. Anyways, there was delicious food, I had the most amazing salmon which quite literally melted in my mouth. It was a good first day in Lisbon.

Day two consisted of visitng a small town nearby called Sintrs. It was filled a georgious mix of ecclectic buildings, colors, and small back alleyways. The day was spent hiking up a large hill with both a moorish castle and palace ontop of it.

The castle was amazing. A good set of ruins, which I spent a few hours climbing about. It was almost fairytsle, with sunspot dabbled woods, and old castle round hidden amongs the undergrowth. I wish a camera was able to accurately capture such a scene.the other half of the castle was in the hilltop, with a commanding view ofthe surrounding landscape. It was fun to sit in the old seats, covered in moss, and wonder who else had sat here before in all the centuries before.

The palace was painted fun colors, and filled with ornate decorations. Most cielings were filled with tiles or fancy stonework patterns. There were more details than one person could shake a stick at. Not only was a it a georgious palace (couldn't take photos inside), every window offered a picturesq view of the surrounding landscape, as the palace was set up on one of the highest hills around. Not a bad location at all, as long as you didn't have to climb up to it everyday.

The evening was filled with sardines, fresh off the grill, good coversation, and a good old festival going strong out in the street below. It was filled with colorful streamers, lights, music, people, dancing and food. It gave a great little peak into the culture of the area.

Today was filled with a few museums, an exquisit cathedral, lots of sun, and more good times in Lisbon. I have the feeling that I may need to revisit the city someday (and I hope the hostel is still there), and do more day trips to surrounding towns and villages. There is plenty to see and do.

Now it's time to attempt to sleep on a train again.

0 comments: