Sunday, June 28, 2009

Nice is nice . . . looking

So, there I was on the train with Switzerland, not quite sure which trains I'd be able to catch to get there. I was talking to a Canadian couple who where heading to Nice (my original next stop), and after looking at the map and planning out a bit of the route I wanted to take it just made more sense to go to Nice first. Also my brother had recommended a hostel in Menton, a half hour train ride from Nice. I figured I'd stay a few nights in Nice and then head to Menton to relax.

I finally get into Nice around 8:30pm after traveling all day, and start the usual hostel shopping, as I've done with no problems up to this point. Well, unfortunately the hostels where few (I only spotted two, the ones in my guide book) and full. What began next was a lenghty search for a place to stay for the night. All I could see where cheap hotels (€40 a night), and no real prospects. After an hour and a half of trekking across town, I was ready to call it quits and stay at the train station that night. When I saw a small sign in the near distance, "Hotel les oranges". I like oranges, so I figures I would take a quick look at the price. As I approached the main door I saw they offered dorm rooms. Excited at the prospect of sleep I rushed up the stairs. Sure enough they had space, and a reasonable rate. Sure it wasn't a hostel, but it would do for two nights. Even with the after-thought bathrooms in the room, where the walls didn't even go up to the cieling, and were incredible cramped. It was Nice, I didn't expect much from cheap accomidations.

I spent my full day at Nice going to the Chigall museum, the Contemporary Art museum, climbing Castel Hill (which provides an amazing view of the city and beach), and strolling along the beach. I still didn't have a swimsuit. But with no place to lock my bag up, I figured I wouldn't be swimming that day. Nice was nice, very pretty looking with it's luminescent aqua blue waters and small alleyed old town, but it was just too touristy. I didn't see how I was to relax. Which is what I've been needing to do.

So the next day it was off to Menton. Where I figured it would be quieter, and the hostel sounded pretty awesome. I follow the rough map that I had up to a set of stairs. I figured the hostel couldn't be too far up (judgeing by the map). As I rounded the second corner, I we a set of steep switchbacks. Not the thing a person wants to see with about 30lbs of baggage on them. So I climbed them, hit a flat section and figured I was there. . . nope. No sooner do I round the next corner when I see another never-ending set of steps in front of me. By now I'm about ready to turn back, sure that I got it wrong, but I trudge ahead. It just so happens that the hostel is conveniently located at the top of one of the tall hills that surround the town.

While the hostel didn't turn out as I expected from my brothers description, it does offer an amazing view of Menton and the surrounding hills, whose tops are often shrouded in clouds. The hostel is closed from 10-5, I wasn't going to be able to relax like I wanted, and after wondering Menton (which was more touristy than I was expecting and hopeing), I decided the only way I was going to relax was at the beach. I made that my goal for the next day.

After finally getting back to the hostel, I find they wouldn't serve me dinner because they had 45 german teenagers coming (and one more was just tooooo many). So I had to go back down into Menton, which meant climbing the stairs yet a third time in one day, three times too many. When I finally returned, hoping from a bit I peace and maybe a good conversation, I find the place overrun by the large group. Luckily, I still had the porch with a view, and I stayed there the rest of the night.

Today was a bit more successful in terms of relaxing. Which I've been needing to do, as I've been fatigued for several days. Too much non-stop going at it. I joined up with a couple from Austria, and spent the day at the beach with them. Leaving the day-pack, which has been attached to me for the past month, at reception. It was a nice break from the rest of the stuff I've been doing. And while the sun wasn't out the entire time, it was probably for the best. Even with reapplying sunblock a million times, I still have a small sunburn. I just can't win.

Well, I'll only stay in Menton one more night (tonight) and the I plan on heading to Italy. Finally to Italy, where I plan on spending a good portion of time. I'll head to the Cinque Terre first, where I plan to relax and veg for three or four more days. Hopefully I can recover there, and then plunge into the big, and small, cities of Italy.

Well, off to dinner, and hopefully a relaxing evening out on the porch, filled with books, wine, and chocolate.

2 comments:

Oh those pesky german teenagers...

sorry no rest for you! But yay for Italy!!!!

Dude i was getting frustrated just hearing about those stairs i hope things are better in Italy
BTW i can't wait to hear about the food there