Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thoughts

So after spending almost a week in Barcelona, I'm on the move again. This time I'm off to . . . Well I'm not really sure. I can end the day either in France or Switzerland. It depends which seat is available of me when I get to my next station.

That's fine. I'll take things as they come. Maybe I'll end up stumbling upon a really cool city/town. I'm almost tempted to just hop off the train now. Glimpses of the Mediterranian are peaking through hillside towns, filled with pastel colored, orange tile roofed buildings. Beaches hold a handful of people (but it is still morning) and the deep blue hued, supersaturated water shimmering in the bright sunlight is beckoning.

Well on to recaping and thougths. I've been through 6 countries, have two stamps in my passport (they seem to be rahter loose at the borders now with the EU), and have taken 12 trains (only 1 I didn't have to reserve), 4 buses, one ferry, and one airplane ride to get between them so far. I learned on my first train ride, which I missed, to make sure that I have the right train station. Many cities like to scatter a few of them around, just for kicks. I also learned that sleeping on either a bus, airplane, or train is not as easy for me as other people. I've had a few 1-3 hour nights of sleep on overnight trains or buses. I would like to blame the poor design on the seats, many of which don't make any sense in terms if ergonomics, even the nicer reclining ones for sleeping. At least all the trains that I've been on so far have been on time. Unlike any train that I've ever taken in the States.

I've found that many Europeans know a basic amount of current American events/politics, where most Americans (at least my age) don't really have a good idea of what goes on in Europe. I'll admit that I don't really keep up with much of what's going on in Europe, just the ocassional big news. My thougths on that are this; I feel as though The US is much more visible in the eyes of the world, due to our involvement within so many other countries as a superpower. I feel as though the US likes to be the worlds police, but this position has left us stretched thin, and not always in a favorable light in other counties. It would be nice to see the US focus a bit more on itself than the rest of the world. But I digress. I'm always amazed by the amount of unformation that Euroeans know about the States, when I have so little information of thier country to reciprocate. Maybe I should ask them how well they keep up with other countries in Europe themselves. If they are only knowledgeable about the US, how can I be expected to know history and current events in the 15 counties I hope to travel to.

Language has not been a real barrier, yet. It really is pretty true that most young adults know at least a moderate amount of English. With American music and movies playing everywhere, as well at the occasional sign in English, it's easy to forget sometimes that I'm in a country that speaks another language, until I start talking to people. But a fair amount of the people that I've met started learning English in middle/high school. About the same time that the US schools start teaching a second language. I think there is just a different perspective on learning a second language in the US, where many of us feel no need for it (I stopped taking Spanish as soon as I could), as opposed to learning a second language in Europe where the counties are much closer together and where English is becoming the universal language (in a sense). I'm always amazed at the hostel receptionists who all know at least three languages, if not more.

There are some fun similarities that I've noticed. All large cites have your stereotypical corner store, which sells everything at 1.5 times the price you'd pay anywhere else, but of course it's convenient. There are always Chinese food take outs. McDonalds, Burger King, and Starbucks are universal. I even saw a KFC in Bercelona.

If someone hasn't developed the NYC blank stare into the distance before coming to Europe, I would suggest doing so. The number of people handing out pamplets and asking for donations seems only to increase as I go along. But the quality of street musicians seems to have also increased, hitting a high in Barcelona with full ensembles, salsa bands, string quartets, and rag time piano/clarinet/banjo trios. Much better than the group of 5 teens I saw in Galway, one singing and playing guitar with no feeling, one half singing, and three disinterested bored members as moral support (I guess). The beat part being they only sung the chorus from popular songs. Barcelona was a great city of music though.

While at first I wasn't sure how I was going to be as to get through 3 months of getting up and moving my life around every 2-4days, I've grown rather used to it. I was a little timid to wear my day pack ony front (big pack on back) at first not wanting to look too crazy. I don't care anymore, it's much more confortable. Plus, it's an instant bond to all the other backpackers lugging around two packs. I've come to realize just how little I need to travel. I'd I didn't want to take nice photos with my big camera, all I need is a three days of clothes and toiletries. Nothing else really. Food and shelter I can aquire in each of the towns/cities I visit. I'm really carrying around too much, yet people always seems to amazed that I can live out of the pack I have for three month (usually those traveling only for a few weeks). It's a different perspective, and makes me wonder how I will react to all the stuff that I have shoved in my basement right now.

People always mention culture shock, coming back into the States. Obviously in havn't come back yet, and it will still be a while. But it makes me wonder what this culture shock will be. Maybe there are a lot of little things that I've never noticed before that I will now. I'll have to wait and see.

Well, things are going well, I'm enjoying my time over here and look forward to more exploration.

0 comments: