Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mishaps in Madrid

I learned another lesson yeaterday. Don't book ahead more than a day (or double check your dates). I've done just fine finding hostels up to this point, but of course the one day that I actually book ahead I happen to book and pay for the wrong date.

I got into Madrid yesterday morning after a night of decent train sleep (4-5 hours), and was excited that I knew where I was staying and had it all paid for already. Excited, that is, untill I got there and realizzed that I had booked the night before (not taking into account the added day from the night train). Oops.

It was then I realized that I also had booked the train to Granada for the wrong day (going off of the hostel date), and that 'my tran' had already left that morning before I even arrived. Double oops.

Not to best way to start off the day. So as I was eating my €18 breakfast (the cost I had paid for the wrong day), I looked at the bright side of things. Took some time, and figured that my trip had been smooth up to this point (for the most part), and hopefully I was just getting it all outbof my system all at once. I had some good coversations with the people at my table, and felt better afterwards.

These things happen. No worries.

The rest oft day was spent at a one of the museums in town and relaxing. The museum was one of the largest privately owned collections of art, and I would have to agree. It filled a museum at least two d the size of the one I have back at home, and covered art from early italian paintings to modern and pop art. Quite the collection. I couldn't imagine owning that much artwork. There was also a special exhibit of Matisse. So a good visit to the museum, which filled my afternoon.

I had to rebook my ticket, and normaly it has taken anywhere from 30-60 minutes to get through the line. This time, I was able to walk right up to the counter. The kind lady had a great grasp of english, and even recommended several places to see in Granada. Best visit to a train station so far. Just what I needed after all that had just happened.

The day was ended with a homecooked meal, calls home, chocolate and wine. Not a bad end to the day at all. And now I'm off to Granada to see one of the most impressive morrish palaces in the world. I'm super excited. Impressions to come in the next post.

1 comments:

Hey Jordan, just wanted to say I'm enjoying keeping up with your blog. Especially all the photos, makes me want to go to Europe even more.