Friday, July 3, 2009

Gotta catch up

Well, I seem to be getting a bit behind, but it's for good reason. I've been traveling with people for the past 5 days. So all my train and bus rides are filled with food fun, instead of me sitting there updating this thing. But let me recap, as I think I left everyone on the cliffhanger of a post, where I was out in search of a hostel. So to pick back up. . .

The Cinque Terre is made up of 5 small villages, so I went over to the one that supposedly had the most options for sleeping. And after checking around, and bargining a single down to 50 euros from 65, I found out that there was no more hostels available in the 5 villages. Luckily, the attendant at one of the info centers was kind enough to check with a hostel in another small town 5 minutes away. Sure enough there was space, and I was good to go.

So the three days that I spent at the Cinque Terre I had to travel in and out at the begining and end of each day, but it wasn't any more hassel than taking a metro.

Anyways the villages were georgious little one main street villages, filled with small alleys that took you up to brightly colored houses that crammed into the hillsides. It was gorgious. I need to post photos as my words will jsut not do it justice. But each of these towns were perched right on the waterside, which was the clearest water you've ever seen. The water took on a flourscent blue hue when the sun was shining bright. So it was quite spectacular.

My first full day was spent taking the roughly 7 mile hike through the hillsides between the villages with my new friend. When not in a village, we were surrounded by olive, peach, lemon trees and vineyards. All tucked into neat steps that ran up and down the rough hillside terrain. It was a georgious walk, and while it would have been prettier with the sun out, I was glad that the day was cloudy until after the hike. The day of hiking was finished off with a swim in the gorgious (and rather warm) water, pesto, pasta, octopus, swordfish, and wine. Not a bad day at all.

Day two was filled with a small amount of hiking to get I a nice uncrowded beach. Because despite the towns being quite small, they are packed with tourists during the day. Not quite the peaceful picture that I had in mind when reading about it. But we found the "beach", which was more or less a stretch of rocks, there was swiming, reading, and a bit of joirnaling. After which we met up with more new friends. I found out that everyone was heading to Pisa and Florence the next day. So I made a few change of plans and ended up staying one day less in Cinque Terre, so I could go along with everyone. Luckily for me, everything worked out, and after a bit of running around I was able to meet back up with everyone for a night swim in one of the towns. It was a fitting way to end my stay there.

The next day was filled with traveling. And since there was a train accident outside of Pisa, we had to take a 3 hour bus ride to get there as the rail lines were out. Pisa was a quick visit, we got there, saw the tower, took the obligitory holding up the leaning tower photo, and were on out way to Florence. It was quite fun to watch everyone as they pose for photos (I made sure to take a few reverse shots). Also, the towernis a lot shorter than I expected, and a lot closer to re other buildings that were in the area. I always pictures the tower out in the middle of a giant grassy field (filled with tourists). It was short, but a good time none the less.

After the Pisa adventure, it was off to Flourence. And while I had 'reserved' a different hostel than everyone else (due to the booking site saying it was full online), I happened to run into thiers along the way, and thought I would give it a try, see if there were any open spots. Sure enough they had one. I was good. Almost everyone was at the same hostel, so the good times in Flourence could begin. Luckily my other hostel 'reservation' was just a quick email with no other info than my name. So there was no way to get charges for the first night (which usually happens if you don't show).

So I've been in Flourence a few days now, I will have to dedicate another blog to the city. As for now, I'm off to meet up with people.

0 comments: