Friday, July 17, 2009

Where's Waldo?

I'm in Napoli now, but I figures I would recap the last few days of Rome.

The last two days of Rome involved a few museums, lots of church viewing and a search for more Caravaggio's (sorry again if I've butchered his name). It was a giant game of where's waldo, but this time it was set across all of Rome. There are many pieces of his work in the city, but they are spread throughout. In picking up a book at one museum we learned of several more paintings in various locations. This became our goal.

I'd say we were auccesful, for in the end we found 3 of the 4 locations with paintings that we had not already seen. It was a fun venture, and filled the time nicely in Rome. Also covered was a trip to the top of St. Peters, with a spectacular view of the Vatican and city below.

All in all Rome was very memorable, it was great having my mom along for the week. I have to say she kept up just fine with me, even outpacing me at times. Luckily her flights got off on time, unlike on her journey here with her multiple delays.

Now I'm in Napoli. I have to say it's an interesting city. It's filled with both a sense of decay and grim yet so full of culture. It has a very scenic waterfront, and some georgious buildings as well though. Overall it feels very unkempt. The paint is peeling of most buildings, exposing plaster, wood and the brick structure beneath. Grass grows on the roofs and the ground floor is filled with grafitti. There are so many layers of posters and flyers that time itself has slowly peeled them away a few at a time. The texture of city is amazing. Again, there is something about decay that can be so beautiful.

The cities streets are dangeous, even the sidewalks are not safe, because motocycles and mopeds run by thier own law. They will drive multiple blocks on the sidewalk (I've been followed by many myself), go the wrong way down a one way street, run traffic lights, and generally go anywhere that thier bike can fit through. I even saw a couple drive thier motocyke onto the sidewalk up to a mailbox, and mail a letter without ever getting off. Kind of rediculous. And while cars will slow or stop for you in crosswalks, motorcycles will not do anything of the sort. It's just pure madness.

Ah, but you can't beat the home of pizza. Where else does pizza cost 1 euro for what is the size of a small pizza in the states, and taste delicious (using real motzerella to boot). At the most, a cheese (margarita) pizza will cost 4 euro. Not bad at all.

I do have to admit that the city is a bit warm for my liking. While the temperature may not be as high as it was in Seville, it feels almost as hot. Water is a must for wondering the streets, many of which are small cobblestone alleys (at least near my hostel) which adds to the whole almost being run over by a car or cycle feeling.

The people feel more Italian here than elsewhere. I've seen lots of loud discussions, more elderly just sitting out in public squares or taking on the street corner, than anywhere else in Italy so far. I've also seen more police than anywhere else before. They are everywhere, which makes me feel both safe and unsafe at the same time. My camera stays in my bag unless I'm taking a photo.

As for what I've seen so far, I would say a few run down museums that are in need of an update and overhaul, two castles and the city itself. One museum I went to still charged full price sill despite only half of it being open at the moment (the rest was being updated). The best part was the museum guards, who all left thier posts, sat together near one window and would smoke and talk the day away. Definately a more relaxed approach to museum workers. The second museum I went to was in a castle itself, and felt very mcuh like no one had updated anything in years. Again the staff just generally hung around together shooting the breeze. At least it came with some good views.

Now I'm off to an outdoor concert in one of the main squares. It's a full orchestra and choir, so I'm super excited. More on Napoli to come.

0 comments: