Saturday, July 25, 2009

Two Thirds

A little more than two months are behind me, and a little less than a month lies in front of me. Through this time I've traveld through the counties of England, Scotland, Ireland, Fance, Spain, Portugal, and Italy. I began my slow trek back north a week ago, after leaving Napoli (the southern most city in my journey), and now I've at Venice on my way to Switzerland.

I'm excited to start these new countries, as I work my way east and north. Of course it means new languages to get around in, but if I've learned one thing while traveling it's that there are a lot of English speakers in Europe. In fact there are whole countries that grow up with American english palyeing on thier radios, dancing across the tv screen, and taught in thier schools. Specifically, the Scandinavian region is filled with several countries that all speak excellent English, on top of thier native languages. Knowing two languages seems to be a minimum in most European countris, and if you work at a hostel it seems as though you must know at least 3 or 4 languages.I don't know how people can so easily switch between the various languages they know.

Within Europe, I've found that most of the landscape can be equated to the vaious landscapes that I've seen back in the States. In fact northern Italy, between Bologna and Venice, looks a lot like the Midwest. It's flat, open, and filled with farms. One big key distinguishing factor is the cyprus tress and ancient churches and cathedrals that dot the landscape. This is much different from southern Italy, which had much more of a Colorado feel to it, with big mountains and a lush green landscape. Obviously they are not the same , but it's fun to see and campare the landscape here with what I've seen back in the states.

Traveling solo has it's advantages in the fact that you can pick when you want to be social and hang out with other travelers, and when you want to spend a day or two by yourself. I've found that a healthy balace between the two is a good thing. Although I think I've learned that I enjoy being with and around people much more than being alone (which I thought I prefered at most times). Traveling and meeting tons of new people has given me a new found strenght in doing just that. While I was very timid at first about talking to people, and just plopping down to talk to a random stranger, I now have little problem going over, sitting down, and getting to know someone new. I never know who I might meet, like a skinny white kid with a british accent from South Africa, who had been studying in England, and is on holiday for a month. Hopefully I will keep this confidence gained from traveling, and will be able to put it to good use back home.

I have noticed that traveling in a pair is probably one of the more common things I see. Usually it is a guy/girl couple or a pair of friends, and they tend to make up about 40% of the people that I meet traveling. Another 40% is solo travelers, like myself, and the last section is made up of larger groups traveling. Usually these large groups will be one of the several bus tours offered across Europe, or a very large group of school kids. It's an interesting mix, but there is never a lacking of people around at hostels to talk to and meet. I do think that if I travel Europe again, I'd like to do it with someone.

I've seen and learned that I only need to be at my trains minutes before they leave, as many are just passing through and only arrive a minute or two before they depart again. But I still prefer to get there 10-15 minutes earlier, just to feel safe. Of course I've had a harder time meeting and talking to people on trains since leaving the english speaking countries, as I'm never sure exactly what language (or languages) they speak.While it's easy to assume that everyone on the train speaks that countries native language, I have to remember that there are other travelers like myself, and anyone could be speaking any assortment of languages. I usually cheat and look at the language of the book that they are reading, or if they are from Canada, they are really easy to pick out with their Canadian flag on thier backpacks.

As far as politics, Obama has had a huge impact on the way that Americans are percieved here in Europe. Almost instantly, we've been cast in a more favorable light. In fact, a girl that I met from Finland mentioned that within the past half year a lot of her friends have started travelng to the States again. There seems to be a general consensus that not everyone is sure exactly what Obama will do while in office, but he is seen as a very favorable move for both the US and for the world as a whole. Luckily, if there are any political conversations that I'm pulled into, they revolve around Europeans approval of Obama.

As for Europeans themselves, I've noticed that the waistline has grown across Europe. It's evident in some countries more than in others, And with how many McDonalds I've seen everywhere, I'd have to say that American might have a little something to do with it all. But that's just a generalization. Though you can see the effects of the cheap fast food. It's almost sad to see McDonalds packed in Italy of all places. I do have to admit that I've used them for thier cheap coffee and excellently placed free seating (usually near big plazas and sights), but I won't consume thier food while I'm abroad. At least the craving for a big mac has not hit me just yet. Although I do miss BBQ's terribly, and chicken wings. But BBQ's more so for the atmosphere and friends (and finger licking good food),

Well, these are just a few thoughts. It has been a fun experience so far, and there are many more adventures to come.

3 comments:

It makes sense that Europe would have parallels to the US, landscape wise, but its really cool that you've traveled so much of the US that you can really draw those comparisons from personal experience.

I am so thankful to be an American, but I can't help but think how wonderful it would be to have grown up in Europe and know multiple languages have a really strong sense of culture. Its silly, but when I watch that movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" I actually get sad that having such crazy family traditions is such a rarity in the United States. I'm jealous that my mom grew up with all italians and crazy italian culture, and I'll never know what that is like. As time goes on, our personal heritage is lost and we are just Americans. I guess I want the best of both worlds - I love being an American, but those European cultural ties are wonderful.

Cant wait to see you in a month!

yea, we canucks tend to keep our flag somewhere near us... :)

interesting thoughts on geopolitics....and world waistlines!

i can't imagine missing most foods while being in Italy, but wings might be the one.

It's true. Hard to miss any kind of food with good Italian cooking. I do enjoy switching it up though. Like my first chocolate bar from Switzerland, in Switzerland.

Carissa, it is interesting how American culture doesn't seem to have a real crazy identity to us. But maybe the same thing could be said for any one culture that one grows up in. It's what you're used to. Maybe you have some pretty crazy traditions, as seen through someone elsew eyes, that you don't think of. But American culture can't claim one heritage, and strictly those traditions that go along with it.

Plus, if you don't think you have enough crazy traditions, there is always time to start you own. Maybe it'll catch on.